28 September 2008

The Darwin Award goes to Evan Tanner

In his blog Utimate Fighting Champion Evan Tanner wrote "I'm hoping that very soon I'll be sitting out in the quiet of the desert beneath a deep blue midnight sky, listening to the calm desert breeze. The idea going into the desert came to me soon after I moved to Oceanside. It was motivated by my friend Sara's talk of treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration. I began to imagine what might be found in the deep reaches of the untracked desert. It became an obsession of sorts".

What he found was death. His obsession became suicide by stupidity. Fox News Article The Imperial County sheriff says his death was by exposure which in their language means dehydration and heat stress. His body was found about 2 miles from his camp where his motorcycle was found with no gas in it. What happened? He probably ran out of water and tried to walk out in 115F temps. After hearing about this I found his blogs learned something about Evan Tanner. A sporting champion he had everything going for him with one exception, at least when it came to the desert; attitude. You can't challenge the desert, nor can you be obsessive. Passionate, yes. Obsessive certainly not. You could say his new found obsession drove him to his death.

It takes me an hour to prepare for a trip into the deep desert, out of cell phone and two-way radio range. Tanner took a month and a half to prepare for the desert by "reading books, studying the land, and researching gear", then presumed he would be all right. He was also in cell phone range. You cannot presume anything in the desert. What went wrong? I'm not going to try to answer that, Tanner fans would only get pissed off and while it's a shame that he died at 37 it's more of a shame that he did it to himself and in that I hope this points out how easy it is for things to go horribly wrong for you. After all Darwin does not reward stupidity and foolishness.

http://www.spike.com/profile/Evan_Tanner

Life is when you make plans.

Survival is when those plans change unexpectedly.

I wonder if a Desert Bandanna would have helped him?

No comments: