05 April 2009

The Desert is closed - Redux.

I figured I'm just gonna take the dogs out for a walk in Willis Palms, part of the Coachella Preserve. When I get there I find a sign that says No Dogs. I go look for another place, Pushawalla Oasis, No Dogs. Fine" sez I more than a little miffed. So I drive over behind the high school to an open piece of desert where I've taken the dogs before but now there's a sign that says "No Access, Federally Owned Land." followed by a list of what's not allowed including of course dogs. I could take them downtown for coffee and a brioche, the city is dog gone friendly and welcomes dogs. I could take them to the dog park. No thanks, dog parks are a haven for diseases like Parvo, Heart worm and Canine Distemper. I've had my experience there so no more dog parks. Finally I remember a canyon I haven't been to in years where there's water, cottonwood trees and nice place to play. Best of all there are no signs prohibiting dogs. They say welcome, come visit, beware of lions, and tigers and bears, Oh My! (there are no tigers in the desert but there are snakes).

I guess it started in the 1970s when the Indians closed Tahquitz Canyon. Too many people getting hurt. That was followed by the closing of the Whitewater River by Windy Point then the Ponds where we went windsurfing. "Too many people getting hurt", said one group. "Protect the desert", said another over a hundred square feet of plant that grew over several acres in a protected area only a few miles away. Most recently is was too much noise from off road vehicles. With a typical lack of thought and foresight the Riverside County board of Supervisors closed all of Riverside County to off road driving with a few exceptions at the east end of the county. Now the desert is being closed to dogs our faithful companions for thousands of years. That one actually started in the (at that time proposed) San Jacinto Santa/Rosa National Monument with the voluntary closure of prime hiking areas and trails to dogs during the best time of the year to hike. This was done to prevent dogs from disturbing the endangered Big Horn Sheep. I've lived at the base of the monument for over 25 years and remember Big Horns in my front yard (before the sheep fence) eating my wife flowers. I remember dogs barking at the Big Horns and I remember Big Horns ignoring the dogs while they continued to eat the landscaping such as it was. The only dogs that chase sheep are sheepdogs.

My point is that as we continue to close places that are now open to the public including our dogs what is going to be left and for whom? I travel with my dogs, gone to forests, national and state parks, the beach, hiking, camping both along trails and in the wilderness. They've stayed in tents, RV's, hotels and the homes of unwilling relatives never bothering anyone. There is no reason in the world why areas like preserves, monuments and parks should be closed to our closest companions. There is no reason to prevent our four footed friends from enjoying the outdoors either. The reasons for closing these areas to the canine set is filled with faulty logic. The fact is people who travel with dogs have well behaved ones that have been trained and they clean up after them. I've never had another dog lunge at mine on a trail or in a campground. It's always a friendly greeting, sniff the butt and let's play. Yet I go downtown and there are dogs towing their owners down the street growling and barking at every dog that walks by. Or worse jumping out from a cafe table. If your dog pulls on the leash while walking and barks on the street leave it home. Better yet take an obedience class because well trained dogs are a joy to everyone and always welcome. At 16wks old Jin my Border Collie is well trained to go out in public, a friendly tail wagging dog. He sits quietly at cafes and poses for pictures. I don't need the guy being hauled by a Pit Bull, German Shepard or whatever whose barely in control to come out of the crowed and start being aggressive toward a defenseless puppy. Unfortunately they are always there.

No comments: