30 March 2009

Did I ever say take water?

It's not even summer yet and I'm already running into people in distress because they forgot one simple item. Water!! I think this summer I'm going to sell my water instead of giving it away. After all; you're in the desert without any water. Lesee, events and venues get as much as $2.50 for 1/2l bottle I think I could get $5.00 for 3/4 of a liter. Whaddya thunk?
As long as I'm on the subject what else have you forgotten? A knife, whistle or cell phone, lighter? These are the four most important items you can have yet is seems the only thing you carry is a cell phone and when it doesn't work I get blamed for it. Cell phones still don't work everywhere.
I digress. Last year more than a few people bit the dust in the desert including a couple of famous ones. Evan Tanner UFC Champion died because he ran out of water and tried to walk out. Turn back when your water is half gone. No one is really sure what happened to Steve Fosset the intrepid aviator other than he crashed into the mountains. However in the search for him eight other planes missing for years turned up. Even Fosset himself took a year to be found and then it was by accident. Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to get back. Let's see if we can beat the desert this summer with no deaths in the local deserts.

The Blue Djinn is home again now a healthy puppy ready to resume his life and training. As part of a discussion I was having the subject of what do we do for our pets during an emergency, disaster or survival situation. Over the next several weeks I'm going to include what you can do for our furry friends. Startng with an essentials list we'll look at the problems and how animals react to disaster and what you can do to keep them comfortable and calm. Your input is welcomed.

Critter warning. Don't forget California is in a drought. Critters of all shapes and sizes are going to be coming out of the mountains and washes to backyards and swimming pools this summer to look for water, shelter and Fluffy who makes a nice meal. Last year a number of small cats and dogs were taken by larger birds of prey. Keep y0u yard secure and don't leave any food out.

No comments: