11 December 2011

Culture Shock Retro

A reminder to those who would venture far from the desert for an extended period. Don't do it. A warning to those who would see continued growth in the desert. Don't let it happen. Nine months of living in the SF bay area has taught me much, or at least now reminds me of past experiences. I've lived in cities before London, Los Angeles, New Orleans, San Francisco, San Antonio and visited many others, Paris, Amssterdam, Saigon, Bangkok and Hong Kong. They are a major reason I live in the desert. They are also the major reason to watch the growth of our desert cities.

Now it is time to return to the desert. This time to Chandler, Az which is south of Phoenix. Having received an education in branta canadensis or the Canada goose it's time to put that and my dog to work and see if there really is money to be made chasing wild geeseSo following the winter migration pattern brings us back to the warm desert climate where the geese nest for the winter while invading parks and golf courses. Is there work. In this economy, who knows?

As for the city by the bay? There is no heart in San Francisco, it's been replaced by the greed of Wall Street and Occupiers who lack direction and movement. You can have it. I prefer the silence, cold clear nights and bright blue days. With Sedona not far from here who knows perhaps I can even venture back into the tour business part time.

As for my obsession with the America's Cup; I've been following it on the internet and will return to the city by the bay in 2013 for the race itself. Only I have to keep reminding myself that according to some, the Mayans have predicted the end of the world in Dec 2012.  Actually what happened to the Mayans is they died out by laughing themselves to death at the results of the 2012 election.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love you web page. I stumbled upon it from the Escapees site. You are very innovative and I love Jin. Hope to get to meet you both one day. Best wishes. sclord2002 [Charlie]