12 November 2008

The Great Calif Shakeout Pt 1

Tomorrow, Thurs Nov 13 is the great Calif Shakeout. Purported to be the largest disaster simulation ever run. Locally here in Palm Springs, CA the local TV station KESQ.com has a reporter, Nathan Baca, going through a 3 day simuation living through the aftermath of 7.2 quake. At first I thought about doing nothing then decided to take part in my own way. At the time of the simulated earthquake tomorrow morning wherever I am I shall react andl take the steps I think I would have to in order to ensure the survival and safety of my family. I shall document this effort and blog it here so you can see what I am doing throughout the day.

"Wait!" you scream, how can you do that if you don't have power for electricity and the internet is down. I am an amateur radio operator and have a laptop computer, all kinds of radios most currently packed away in boxes and simulat access to SatPhone for the duration of the simulation. After all if they can simulate an all comms out disaster I can sim Sat Phones since my radio gear will do actually that. So I'll simulate comms using my laptop and Internet connection for that purpose only.

I'm curious as to what I'll do since like a real disaster I don't know what's coming and I don't know how I'll respond when I try to apply a sense of panic to the situation. I suppose that will depend on what I hear as disaster reports when I tune in to what ever's happening on the radio, broadcast or otherwise.

No comments: